This is a pretty simple dish, at the very least you just need rice, garlic and xo sauce. You can jazz it up with whatever you have in your fridge, be it peas, carrots, corn, leftover meat, bacon etc. which is the beauty of making fried rice. I love mine with egg!
Ingredients (2 pax)
2 Rice Bowls of rice
6-8 prawns, peeled and deshelled if you prefer (optional)
4-6 scallops (optional)
5-6 cloves of garlic, minced
3 eggs, beaten and slightly seasoned with salt
1 tablespoon XO Chilli Sauce (or more if you like it spicy, but just to remind you that it can get salty if you put too much)
1) Pour just enough oil to cover the bottom of the wok and turn on the fire on medium high heat.
2) When the oil is hot, gently place the seafood (they must be patted dry so the oil doesnt splatter at you) into the wok and let it cook one one side for a minute or so depending on the size of your seafood. Once the cooked side turns golden brown, flip the seafood over on the other side to finish cooking. At this point, add in a quarter of your minced garlic. If you put it in too early it will burn.
3) Remove cooked seafood from the wok and set aside.
4) Add a little more oil in the same wok and heat it up on medium high heat.
5) Add the rice into the wok, and the XO sauce to the rice.
6) Give this a quick stir and toss to incorporate the XO sauce into the rice.
7) Push the rice to the side of the wok, add a little more oil to the wok so that the eggs that you are going to pour in doesn’t stick to the surface of the wok.
8) When the oil is hot enough (but don’t leave it too long as the rice may burn at the side, I like my rice soft, not burnt and chewy), add the eggs and let the eggs cook partially before breaking it up and mixing it with the rice.
9) Pour the seafood back into the wok and give it a few tosses .
10) Serve with spring onions or cilantro/chinese parsley.